Decorative Window Film: Pros, Cons & Ideas
Decorative window film is something that your average homeowner is not always aware of as an affordable, crafty way to improve the visual appeal of your home.
Decorative window film can totally transform windows, especially older ones that are starting to slowly lose their visual value. The film can completely change the way you view a room inside a home and present a number of refreshing new ideas for interior design.
Furthermore, window film is cost effective and is far cheaper than most other interior design projects. It not only decorates the room but also helps with privacy and filtering light.
What is Decorative Window Film?
Decorative window film is a relatively new interior design concept. The micro-thin layer of film is usually created out of vinyl or polyester. It is then applied directly to the glass and offers many different benefits.
Decorative films can range from historical to contemporary to abstract. There is a growing list of styles as window film becomes more popular with homeowners.
Window films are sold in varying degrees of transparency. One purpose of window film is to reduce sun glare and exposure. Therefore, if you really want to eliminate light and have total privacy you can invest in a wrap that’s not very transparent. Yet those that just want brief blockage yet still a lot of natural light can buy a more transparent film.
Pros of Window Film
There are many reasons why window film is becoming a trendy new style for interior design. In addition to helping improve the decoration of the interior, it also serves a number of practical purposes:
- Reduces Glare: Sun glare is annoying for homeowners at certain parts of the day. For example, in the morning an eastern sunrise could make it difficult in the dining area to enjoy a meal. In the evening a western sunset could cause glare in the living room while watching TV. Window film is sold in varying levels of transparency to partially or completely eliminate sun glare.
- Offers Privacy: People love windows because they welcome natural light and can get opened in the warmer months to invite a cool breeze. However, they also reveal a lot about what is inside a home. Window film helps with privacy which can partially or nearly fully block the view from the exterior.
- Creates a Cooler Atmosphere: Since less sunlight is being allowed through the window you will find the interior of your home will be cooler. It is why many people like to apply film during the hottest months of the year.
- Reduces Energy Bills: Your HVAC system must work harder when sunlight penetrates glass and produces warmer temperatures inside. While it’s unintentional it usually leads to higher energy costs since your HVAC needs to work harder to keep the interior at a controlled temperature.
- Improves Lifespan of Floors & Furniture: Homeowners often don’t connect the two but floors, like carpet, and furniture get abused by sunlight over the years. Furniture by a window will start to show sun fade. Low-E window film helps reduce the amount of UV rays that penetrate glass and eventually wear on furniture, paint, and flooring.
In addition to creating more privacy, reducing glare, and minimizing energy costs window film is also very decorative. It is sold in a number of different styles and colors. There is something out there for every type of taste.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that a decorative window film is affordable. Compared to a lot of home decor and interior design techniques, window film is a budget-friendly improvement.
Cons of Window Film
While there are not really any major drawbacks to applying decorative window film to some, or all your windows there are a few things you should consider:
- Reduces Natural Light: Though window film does help with privacy and glare, the byproduct is the window produces less natural light. Studies have shown a number of benefits to adding more natural light to homes. One solution is to only install window film on glass that receives a lot of direct sunlight and leave other windows open to get a decent balance.
- Restricts Views: There are many circumstances where new homeowners became in love with a particular home because of the views it provided. Unfortunately, window film does briefly restrict a clear sight line to the exterior of the home. People that live in the mountains or near beaches may find decorate film more of a hindrance than an advantage.
- Seasonal Option For Some: While window film is easy to install and take down it does require a little bit of time. It is especially true for people that may just prefer having it up for certain seasons of the year, like the summer, than take it back down during the winter.
Decorative Window Film Ideas
Even though window film does have a number of practical purposes a reason that many homeowners install it is to create a new form of decoration. The number of styles and patterns is pretty diverse these days.
Decorative window film is sold in a number of different styles including patterned, textured, frosted, or colored designs. The number of varieties can suit a number of different interests and tastes.
The film is also custom cut to fit your window perfectly. They can serve as the focal point of the room or more sit in the background complimenting other interior design aspects.
There is no wrong answer when it comes to decorative window film. It can save you money due to lower heating and cooling costs and also help with glare. The pattern or color scheme of the design can also help rejuvenate a room and spice up older looking, unattractive windows.
The good news is installing window film is not a difficult project. It takes a little time and patience to apply it straight, and without air bubbles, yet looks nice once completed.
Some window film is reusable meaning that you can apply it during certain parts of the year and then take it down. The reuse approach is budget friendly though some homeowners may prefer to try out different designs and styles each year too.
Window Film is a Good Addition (If Done Right)
Decorative window film makes a good addition to any home. There are more patterns and styles available to find the right design. It can also help you save money over the long term and create a more comfortable atmosphere within certain rooms of your home.